Combat-Injured Disabled Veterans May Be Owed Refunds

Certain veterans who received disability severance payments after January 17, 1991, and included that payment as income, should file Form 1040X to claim a credit or refund of the overpayment attributable to the disability severance payment. These veterans received a one-time lump-sum disability severance payment when they separated from their military service, and should have recently received a letter from the Department of Defense explaining how to claim the related tax refunds. Click here for details.