Dear Abby recommends an EA to reader to help with Tax Issues

Posted on July 13, 2015 · Posted in Industry News

Dear Abby: My brother-in-law doesn’t file tax returns

By Jeanne Phillips
Updated 8:00 am, Monday, July 13, 2015

Dear Abby: I have just learned that my sister’s husband of 35 years (I’ll call him George) hasn’t filed their personal income taxes for a number of years. This has caused a lot of stress and anxiety for my sister, who recently underwent breast cancer treatment. Apparently, he hasn’t filed because of his inability to organize. (His family has denial issues.) Their professional tax preparer has met with both of them and tried to work out a step-by-step program, but George consistently fails to meet the deadlines. I love my sister and want to be as supportive as possible, but I’m unsure what I can do. I have advised her to seek therapy. She has copies of business-related documents relating to the unfiled tax periods, but not enough information to file on her own. On top of everything else, she has several relationship issues with her children that are causing her grief. What else can I do?

Dear Brother: Failure to file one’s taxes is a federal crime that could land your brother-in-law and sister in the slammer. That’s why you should urge your sister to do something she should have done years ago — take over the family finances. She and her husband may need more help than their CPA has been able to give them. A group that I have mentioned in my column before is the National Association of Enrolled Agents. These are tax specialists — some of whom are attorneys and CPAs — who are licensed by the Department of the Treasury. Tell your sister to contact an enrolled agent by visiting today.


This article can be found in the SFGate. Click here to see the online article.